Sunday, August 30, 2020

Day 6 - Enabling Access - Sites

 Our day started with sharing what we have used from our last session. Moving on we had a Google Meet with Dorothy about being 'connected.' This was so relevant given how 2020 is panning out.

"Most of us are at our best when we are connected with other people" - Dorothy Burt. What true words! I have always been a 'people person' but never realised how much until lockdown earlier in the year. 

Moving on we looked at the importance of Blogger to help our students connect in a safe place with support.




 We then looked at some school sites and evaluated the sites. We looked at the visual appeal and user experience. As much as I love colour I found the work with a lot of white space easier to read and more appealing. The overuse of colour was too distracting. Interestingly, one of my work buddies liked the colour and found the work on the site way more appealing than I did. This lead on to an interesting discussion about knowing our learners and what works best for them rather than what we find attractive. 

Following on we then worked with different buddies looking at their sites to give and receive feedback. It was great to connect with different teachers and look at their sites - I took away some great ideas and need to go back and look at their sites again for ideas. 

It was great to have time to discuss our own work and look at others. I came away with so many ideas and am looking forward to implementing them. The most exciting part of the day was learning how to add my voice recording to a google slide - a rather long process but I'll get quicker at it the more I do it.

All in all another great day of learning, sharing and time to 'play.'

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Kathleen,
    A great reflection Kathleen and you sound much more confident than six weeks ago.
    It is interesting that you recognised the default is ourselves when planning content or layout on a site. i wonder if the advantage of working in a collaborative space ensure you take other perspectives into account when planning the site?
    This would require a high level of inter team trust and something I do not always see in collaborative teaching.
    Nga mihi,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete

DFI - Day 9 The Final Chapter

 So it all comes to an end. Today was the day of the three-hour exam and I can't say I enjoyed any of it. It was a lot harder than I exp...