Tuesday, August 11, 2020

DFI Day 4 - Dealing with Data

Today has been another day of thinking until my brain was throbbing. Thank goodness I upped the ginger crunch and coffee order to include a freshly baked scone. 

The day started with a review of what went well and what we need further support with. This is always a good time to realise how many others on the course are learning just as much as I am - which is heaps.  

Dorothy Burt's presentation this week was looking at the Share pedagogy. The biggest take-home message for me was the remark Dorothy made about the importance of students finishing their work to ensure the work is shared. Many students may never finish anything, so the need to complete work to share may motivate the reluctant student to complete work. Completing a job is a life skill that we need to help students with. 








We created our own Google form which was heaps of fun and then completed a colleague's. I have created a form in the past but now have the skills to make it look more attractive.

I love Google Maps for helping me find my way but now have a deeper understanding of the different features which are available. I created a map showing a few vegan cafes to go to.




Moving on we looked at Google Sheets and after a 'play' we created our own using blog data.



I can't believe how much learning is packed into a day. There are so many little tips I take away from each session. 

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Kathleen,
    It seems you have worked out the secret to survivng the DFI; coffee, ginger crunch and scones!
    My observations from moving into collaborative spaces is expectations of students finishing work seems to be lower, si this something you are seeing in other spaces?
    Well done with keeping up with the learning, even with a sore head. Stick at it as I can see an increasing confidence.
    Nga mihi,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete

DFI - Day 9 The Final Chapter

 So it all comes to an end. Today was the day of the three-hour exam and I can't say I enjoyed any of it. It was a lot harder than I exp...